Number Series is used as the naming scheme for transactional entries. Multiple transactions of a single type for example Journal Entry can be grouped under a single Number Series.
Default Number Series
By default Frappe Books comes with a single Number Series for each of the transactional entry types
These are selected by default when making a transactional entry. You can create new a Number Series to suit your needs.
The Number Series of a transactional entry cannot be changed once Save is clicked.
Creating a New Number Series
To create a new Number Series for a specific transactional entry
- Find the Number Series field on the entry form or the Quick Edit Form.
- Enter the new Number Series you would like to use in the field.
- Click on Create
This will take you to the Number Series Quick Edit Form where you can change the number series configuration.
Once you are done editing, click on Save, now you can use the new Number Series for the entry.
Number Series Fields
The fields decide how the Number Series is set
- Prefix: The base prefix applied to the number series for example: SINV-
- Reference Type: The transactional entry type to which this Number Series belongs.
- Start: The number given to the first entry in the Number Series.
- Pad Zeros: The number of given as padding to the number part of the Number Series.
For example, if Name is SALES-PAY-, Start is 0, and Pad Zeros is 3, then the Number Series values assigned to the transactional entries would be:
SALES-PAY-000, SALES-PAY-001, SALES-PAY-002, SALES-PAY-003, etc.